Friday, June 2, 2023

Rear Bumper Time

I was cleaning pictures off my phone recently when I happened across some pictures of my truck I had taken right after I bought it. The bumper was one subject I meant to cover and forgot about it.

My GMC was bought already wearing an aftermarket rear bumper. Though showed plenty of use by its scratches and dings, it was not bent or unusable in any way. I just don't like the look of big bumpers. It appeared to be one that someone paid good money for--possibly custom-made. It was plenty beefy. I didn't get a lot of pictures of it, but here it is against my 84 Chevy and its standard, steel step-bumper. Quite a difference.



It was definitely a bumper you needed to have a good hold on when it came loose. It was heavy. I did a careful balancing act with my floor jack, ready to cringe if it fell off the jack, assuming it would wake the neighborhood with the clang of ages. Luckily, it went nice and smooth.

I contacted the guy I offloaded the bed liner onto a few months prior, and he was plenty happy to come and get the bumper. Free is a good price when you want things to move quickly! I'll bet it looks perfectly at home on his crew-cab dually. I think that design was meant for a beefy ranch truck.

I replaced it with a new Fey chrome step bumper from Summit Racing. Here it is on the truck:



It was very easy to put on--just me and my trusty floor jack. It also helped to be on a smooth concrete surface so the wheels rolled smoothly. New brackets are required with this bumper. The brackets made the install pretty effortless. You don't want to be under there all day, right? Buy the brackets.

No comments: